January 23, 2012

26 weeks [praying for Judah]



Development Prayers:
Judah's ear network is better developed and more sensitive than before. He may now be able to hear both me and Joel's voice as we talk to each other. He's inhaling and exhaling small amounts of amniotic fluid, which is essential for the development of his lungs. These is apparently good practice for when he's born and takes that first gulp of air. And he's continuing to put on baby fat. He now weighs about a pound and two-thirds and measures 14 inches (an English hothouse cucumber) from head to heel. And in other news, his testicles are beginning to descend into his scrotum — good to know, right?  But still worth praying for all the development milestones going on during this time.

Symptoms: 
  • Heartburn!!  Oh my goodness--I did not think it was possible to get this before the age of 50.  Heartburn ain't no joke--it really does burn.  It comes and goes, and it's not as painful as I'm probably making it out to be, but it's weird nonetheless.
  • Realizing that Judah can't stay in the womb forever.  I haven't really thought about labor much until we went to our first baby class a few weekends ago.  After that, it was all I could think about.  It's a mixture of nervousness but excited emotions--thinking about getting to see his face finally. 
  • Pregnancy brain is real--I was out at our local maternity store yesterday killing time between a shower for a friend and church.  My mother-in-law sweetly gifted me with giftcards, so I could spice up my wardrobe.  Well I spent a good hour and a half digging through racks and trying on clothes.  Now normally this isn't really a work out--but pregnant shopping IS.  I kept thinking, "Am I really out of breath from trying on clothes?!?"  Anyway!  I figure out what I want (which was a nice size amount) and get up to the register, immediately realizing that my gift cards are in my other purse!  My friend (who is also pregnant) just laughed at me and kept telling me it's OK, but I was so embarrassed and mad at myself.  Note:  I do not like shopping and our maternity store is the worst--they hound you and don't leave you alone, so I did NOT want to step foot back in there again.  So I left empty handed and have to go back today to ring them all up--thankfully they are holding them for me because if not, I would most certainly have cried.
  • Pregnancy emotions are real--Joel and I had plans this weekend to go see a movie.  Needless to say, plans fell through because I misunderstood the times (why is everything 3D?? so annoying).  Anyway, I was devastated.  I couldn't explain it, but I was just so incredibly sad.  Joel kept trying to cheer me up by chalking it up to pregnancy hormones, but I kept denying that's what it was but still couldn't explain why I felt so down. We took a walk around the neighborhood, which helped, and Joel did his best to talk me through it.  He says that when "Joel husband" doesn't work, he has to bring in "Joel therapist."  I've never felt more like one of his patients, but thank God for him because after he talked me through it, I felt much better.  We watched a movie at home (Another Earth--rent it!! so good) and (eventually) laughed about how crazy I was acting.

No comments:

Post a Comment